Today is my big brother Jesse’s 29th Birthday!!!! The main picture is us together as kids playing in the lake 🙂 I can’t believe how old both of us are getting and the changes life has brought us. As I was wishing him a Happy Birthday today, I began thinking about the differences when I lived at home close by where celebrating together was care free and a lot of fun. Compared to now where I don’t really get much of a chance to celebrate with him since I am farther away after moving for college. I began thinking about how there are many of us out there in this situation and thought that writing a post on the ways that I try to make my loved ones feel special on their day or even ideas I have thought of for future occasions to make the distance feel like you are still there may help others who are in this situation too.
- Before his birthday my husband and I took the time to find the best card for him. Some years we go with funny cards other years more sentimental, depends on the theme of the year. This year a more sentimental card fit the bill well. We also write personal messages to him on the card more than the traditional love Danielle and Hans..we do put that, but we also write a more special message I usually say how I feel about the relationship along with how much they mean to me along with any possible exciting events coming up or when we may see each other next. 🙂
- The first thing I did today was texted my brother Happy Birthday with all the celebration and birthday icons to let him know I am thinking about him in the day right away 🙂 Also let him know I will call him later after work since I knew he had to work as well.
- I wrote a special post for him on Facebook just another remembrance for him to look back on. Letting him know that he is the best brother in the world! 🙂
- I called him after we were both done at work to wish him a Happy Birthday and caught up while he drove back home. It’s like spending time together while far away. 🙂
Those are the things I did to celebrate my brother’s birthday with him while being far away, but I have thought of other ways to surprise or celebrate with my family members while being apart.
- For my mom or grandma, I have thought of ordering flowers in a nearby flower shop in our area and have them delivered to her. I think she would love that!
- If you know your family members are going to a special bar or restaurant to celebrate, you could call in and order a special birthday dessert and ask them to bring it out with a candle while singing to them.
- I know my mom on her parents birthdays (both passed away) she celebrates them and their day by having their favorite drink . I always think it is a sweet idea to celebrate the ones we have lost. 🙂
There are so many ways to feel like you are with your loved one on their birthday or special day and these are just a few ideas.
I would love any comments below of any ways that other people celebrate with loved ones far away or even ideas that you may have come up with!
Thank you for reading 🙂